Earthwise Construction was appointed as main contractor to carry out a full retrofit of a 1890s house on Hill Avenue, next to Victoria Park in South Bristol. The works included:
- Complete removal of the roof structure, to accommodate a new timber frame loft conversion
- Removal and replacement of all windows and doors with high performance triple glazing
- Increasing the air tightness of the property
- Removal and replacement of timber floor joists to the ground floor
- Whole fabric of the house was insulated, eg insulation to the ground floor, loft and external wall insulation
- Installation of an MVHR system
Working in an old Victorian property provides unique challenges. Early on in the project it became apparent that lots of original internal walls had been badly constructed and would need to be re-built. This instantly changed the scope of works and added extra pressure to the project budget.
Achieving good levels of airtightness and minimising thermal bridges also provided technical challenges which we were able to overcome successfully.
The work has been done to a very high standard. We love our house and are really glad that we chose Earthwise to rebuild our home. Clear, knowledgeable explanations were accompanied by neat carefully detailed work; the enthusiasm for environmentally sound building was really clear. You cared about our project, the performance of the building, and whether we would enjoy living in the house created. We felt supported throughout. Our neighbours have complimented you to us as considerate, always working hard, and friendly. We’ve really appreciated that the Earthwise experience has extended beyond just our family and out to the people we live around for years.Geraldine and Pete Giddings